East Turkistan Government In Exile

Restoring Freedom and Independence for East Turkistanis

East Turkistanis praise UK, US, Canada and EU sanctions on China and call for stronger actions

PRESS RELEASE – For Immediate Release
East Turkistan Government in Exile
contact@East-Turkistan.Net
+1 (202) 599-2244, Ext: 1
22 March 2021 | 5:00 PM EST

WASHINGTON: March 22, 2021 – In an internationally coordinated campaign, the US, UK, and Canada joined the European Union in slapping sanctions on Chinese officials and entities involved in the genocide on the Uyghurs and other Turkic peoples in East Turkistan (referred to as “Xinjiang” by China), including the Xinjiang Production and Construction Corp paramilitary.

The East Turkistan Government in Exile commends the new sanctions on China and urges the international community to uphold their commitments to ‘Never Again’ by taking strong, swift actions against China’s genocide in East Turkistan while acknowledging East Turkistan as an Occupied Country.

“While we are thankful for these actions, sanctions alone are not enough,” said President Ghulam Osman Yaghma.  “We urge Canada, the EU, UK, and the US to boycott the Beijing 2022 Olympics, grant priority refugee status for Uyghurs and others fleeing the genocide, and bring the plight of East Turkistan to the agenda of the UN Security Council.”

Earlier this year, the U.S. Government along with the Parliaments of Canada and the Netherlands officially designated China’s atrocities against Uyghurs and other Turkic peoples in East Turkistan as genocide.

“We urge EU Council, the UK, and Canadian Governments to formally recognize the genocide in East Turkistan and take actions to end it,” said Prime Minister Salih Hudayar.

This is the first such western action against Beijing since Joe Biden took office.   It is also the first time in three decades the UK or the EU had punished China for human rights abuses, and both will now be working hard to contain the potential political and economic fallout, the Guardian reported.

In July 2020, the East Turkistan Government in Exile and the East Turkistan National Awakening Movement filed a legal complaint, at the International Criminal Court, against Chinese officials for genocide and other crimes against humanity. The East Turkistan Government in Exile is calling on the international community to support its case against China at the International Criminal Court and help the people of East Turkistan obtain justice.

Share this: